We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
In the last trimester of pregnancy we perform a last ultrasound, usually between 32 and 36 weeks of pregnancy. It checks the well-being of the baby, the amount of fluid and the state of the placenta, among other things.
The ultrasound that is usually used does not require that it be of such quality as occurs in the 20 week ultrasound, nor that the obstetrician or sonographer have a high degree of specialization, although the information we obtain is very valuable.
The latest pregnancy ultrasound provides very valuable data. Among them:
1. Baby position: It is confirmed that it is in a cephalic or breech position, that is, that part of the body is in the direction of the pelvis. In the event that the baby is breech or breech, and depending on which center and what week the woman is in, different options are given: external cephalic version, scheduled cesarean section, breech delivery is attempted ...
2. Estimated weight and measurements of the baby. It is verified that the growth is normal, that the weight is adequate. Growth problems are ruled out.
3. Position and status of the placenta, if calcifications are observed or that the placenta is more or less aged. They are important data since it is the organ through which the baby receives everything he needs from his mother. It should work perfectly.
4. Position and condition of the cord, the circulation of the umbilical artery is checked to make sure that the oxygenation to the baby is correct.
5. Diagnosis of late anomalies.
6. Measure amniotic fluid levels, although as the weeks go by it is normal for it to decrease.
7. Assessment of the biophysical profile of the baby: heart rate, respiratory movements, body movements and fetal tone.
8. Sometimes the length of the cervix is measured, especially if the woman reports having had contractions, since it is one of the factors that can predict a preterm or premature delivery.
9. In case of twin pregnancy allows us to know the position of each twin, to predict the type of delivery.
Although this is the most important ultrasound, in the final stretch of pregnancy in private clinics they do two more ultrasounds, but all of them serve to measure the same parameters.
Like previous ultrasounds, it is not necessary for the woman to prepare in a specific way, we usually recommend that moisturizers are not applied to the abdomen that day, since some prevent the normal passage of ultrasound.
It is usually performed abdominally, except on certain occasions when we need to know a specific parameter such as the length of the cervix, which is more precise through this route, or to assess possible placentas located near the cervical os.
And ... What will future parents see? In principle, due to the little fluid and the little space that the baby already has, the different parts of the body of your future child are not usually appreciated so well; Nevertheless the face, as long as the baby is left, it looks pretty good; gynecologists usually make beautiful 'portraits' in these weeks of pregnancy, since the face is 'more like a child' (some even have cheeks!), but we should not lose heart if in the last ultrasound we don't appreciate our baby well, that we will have a few weeks to hold him.
You can read more articles similar to Ultrasound in the last trimester of pregnancy, in the category of Stages of pregnancy on site.